How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and daughter in law are trying to get their permanent

Customer Question

My son and daughter in law are trying to get their permanent residency in Canada, however one of their children was from my daughter in laws previous relationship. They have been paying an attorney over $8,000 to get a court order for my granddaughter to stay, however the court has said they they need to contact the father. My son has been bringing up my granddaughter as his own for nine years. They have not been able to locate the father. They have a recorded letter to his last known address and it has been returned. They have reached out to several of his known contacts on Facebook, and none have seen him since 2004. The court wants us to place articles in the newspapers in England and Nirobi a,d now wait 42 days to see if he answers. The issue is, we have to go back to court to find out what verbiage should be used in the articles. Do you happen to have any idea as to the verbiage that is normally used? If we can get that, and place the ads as quickly as possible, we can save some time and money. Thanks Shirl Coons
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?
Customer: Court order has not yet been issued, that's what we're trying yo get, however the court we are dealing with is in British Columbia.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They have filed for their permanent residency and gave been told they have until February to get all the documents in order, which means that they have exhausted all ways of giving the father a chance to respond to his child staying in Canada. I know that their attorney had a colleague sit in court for a whole day waiting to see if he could be heard and that cost my son $2,800. He can't afford much more of days like that. Now we just need yo get this next step handled and that is posting the articles, then we can go back to court with all the proof that we have tried to contact him. As it is, if they could have found him, they would have requested help with child support, however maybe that's the reason why they haven't been able to find him.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks, ***** ***** need the verbiage to use in the articles so that we can meet the courts requirements.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Related Canada Law Questions