How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3502
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question: I lived with my common law partner for many

Customer Question

Hello, my question:
I lived with my common law partner for many years, were not together anymore, we own
a house TOGETHER (both names on the title) its been 9-10 months now and he still hasn't sold the property. can i FORCE the house sale? so i can get my money from him and move on?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Yes, if your name is ***** ***** and he won't co-operate or take steps to agreed to a buy out of your interest and then follow through, you can get an order from the court to determine the equalization of the "family property" and order that the home be sold, or that you get exclusive possession of the home, or be allowed to dispose of the home without his input or permission.

While it's not particularly difficult to get such orders, the paperwork needs to be done very specifically and correctly so I strongly recommend that you go see a lawyer for help. Even if that lawyer just prepares the documents for you, that's a great start and usually good value for the money.

Does that make sense?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Did you read what I wrote? Did it help?

Anything else to discuss?

If I've answered you fully, may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.


Related Canada Law Questions