How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100934
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need advice regarding goods damaged by leaking storage unit.

Customer Question

Need advice regarding goods damaged by leaking storage unit. Please call(###) ###-#### Storage was in BC and info too long to text. Thanks. ***** *****
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A moving quote went over the original amount and they held our goods in their storage locker. Once the move was paid of and because the locker is in BC and we live in Alberta we were unable to get back until now to retrieve our goods. I discovered yesterday that the locker is an uninsulated old moving trailer. There are holes in the roof and our furniture has delamination from the moisture and will need to be refinished.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

How much will it cost you to do the repairs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have not got any quotes yet as I just arrived in Calgary and have to unload. My estimate would be around 20 thousand.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

This is a terrible story. I am so sorry to hear it.

I suggest that you send them a letter at once stating that you will be seeking compensation from them as soon as you find out how much the repairs will cost.

Then get three quotes if possible.

Then write them again and tell the what you require for reimbursement for the costs and give them a deadline for complying. Tell them if they fail to do so you will be commencing legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can the sue them in Small Claims Court (for up to $25000) and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?