Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I do have a question. I used to have an employee that was a

Customer Question

I do have a question. I used to have an employee that was a Bus driver and just last she became a council chief within our reserve. Now she is in direct control of my department and has harassed me in meetings about developing a policy for the school buses that I manage and on three different occasions she with her attitude would demand from me what is up with the policy and when is it going to be ready? A little from the past I had her on what we call garage duty which is for the employee to stay at the garage for the whole day and help out the mechanics and go pick up parts. one day while she was on this duty she disappeared and I needed her to drive another driver to go pick up a bus I had to call her and explain what her duties were and I asked her did she understand? and she sarcastically said yes I do. She returns to my office and is all upset saying do you think I am a child that you have to ask me if I understood, and I said I had to make sure that you did. I gave her a verbal warning and had a document stating what had happened, after I gave it to her she looked at it and threw it on the floor and left my office and slammed the door open I replyied that she will written up for that and her reply was I don't give a f**& and left. On another occasion while at the Canadian Legion on Veterans Day after our parade my wife and I were having lunch the sister of this person comes up to my wife andjust starts yelling all kinds of crap at her and this in front of the packed Legion, and this happened while I was in the bathroom. I come out and find my wife all shook up and she explained thia to me. The next day I ask my employee in question why was her sister being such an ASS? and I guess she didn't like that. So back to what happened yesterday I am called in to my bosses office and they tell me that I have two choices either resign or change my attitude with some of the parents that complain about the bullies on the bus or where they want their kids to be picked up,and so on, sometimes I can resolve these problems over the phone and sometimes I cannot because of the ridiculous requests, so they write complaints and send them into the chiefs who cannot be bothered with anything else, I am on a nine month probation now cause I did not want to take the $11000 which they offered. In the past I had brought up to my bosses boss the conflict of interest which was so obvious and they did not do nothing about it except a lot of talk. So now I am just waiting for a complaint to come in and if they do not get their way and write a complain letter and that's my job.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I am in Canada and for about ten months.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Now for doing my job by having a bully suspended from one of my buses the parent complained about it and wrote a letter to council and now they want me to quit. I know it my ex employee who is in charge of my program who is behind this.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I love my job.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear this.

What do you want to see happen and what is your specific question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can they have this woman above me and continue to Harrass me in meetings, and now I am on probation for doing my job for nine months and if I get one complaint again then I will loose my job.
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately there is little that you can do when an employer is not fair if you want to keep your job.

The only way you can redress this from a legal perspective is to quit and claim constructive dismissal which is a form of wrongful dismissal and sue for damages.

If you want me to explain what constructive dismissal is I am very happy to do that.

If you are not interested in quitting at this point in time then your best next step would be to try to go above your supervisor's head and seek assistance from someone as high up as possible. And one thing you should say is what you said in this post "I love my job." That is something employers want to hear.

If you lose your job and it's not fair then you would be able to sue for wrongful dismissal.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?