How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a property in Ireland which when the market crashed

Customer Question

I own a property in Ireland which when the market crashed lost over 50% of it's value. I am not left owing almost the full value of the mortgage but am in negative equity. I have been trying to maintain payments for the past 6 years however I am trying to make a new life for myself in Canada and can no longer afford to keep the property. I want to walk away from it and hand the keys back to the mortgage company but I am worried that they can come after me here in Canada. Can they? what are my options?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: it is in Ireland, in Europe
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: anything such as?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I negotiated a reduced payment plan with the Mortgage company a few years ago but otherwise all payments have been maintained to date.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Are you only asking about the law in Canada?

I can answer about Canada but not about Irish law.


Related Canada Law Questions