How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100007
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Quebec, I read it is possible for 1 partner to file for

Customer Question

Hello, In Quebec, I read it is possible for 1 partner to file for divorce from the other ( individually since the 2nd partner refused becuase they did not want to pay for the divorce application); my question is, that after the 1 partner files and the divorce is made, can the second party ( who did not file ) come back and with THEIR file application at a later date and then ask for financial compensation, child support, expenses, etc.? Thank You,
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Peter
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No not yet, I am about to file by myself since my spouse said that she doesn't want to pay any expenses for the divorce
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that is it.....I just would like to verify if there are any repercusions that could come back against me if I file individually for divorce, when my spouse will eventually decide, herself, to file for divorce.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Only one application can be made.

So you can apply.

Your spouse will reply and ask for all the issues to be dealt with and that is how the court will begin to deal with all the issues.

But your spouse cannot start a separate application for divorce.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions