Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am entering into a rent to own agreement with a friend. we

Customer Question

Hi I am entering into a rent to own agreement with a friend. we have agreed on all conditions and prices. We are just wondering if at the end of the term that we have decided if we need to hire a lawyer to do a title search and deed transfer or if this something we can do on our own?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Leduc Alberta
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, she owns the property outright at this time and we are just writing up a document that we can both sign. We just want to include in that document that if there are legal fees down the road that we will split the cost and if it is actually necessary
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that is the only question i have
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hiring a lawyer is not mandatory but there is really no way a lay person can get this right.

There is a title search that needs to be done and many documents to prepare, some of which need to be registered.

Even lawyers retain their own lawyers for closings.

So it would be most prudent to assume legal fees will be needed.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?