How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99974
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been living with my boyfriend for quite a while now the

Customer Question

hi I've been living with my boyfriend for quite a while now the house is under his name but I've paid all bills groceries renos done them all myself without his help but now he's been continually abusive and is threatening to move my things out when I go to work tmrw what do I do :( I need help
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: windsor ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I just have pictures I almost called last time and screen shot Ted when It happened friends are aware I was just too scared
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it I don't know if substance abuse should be involved he is taking 3 different types of steroids I found
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

How long have you lived there for?

What is your specific question?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
a year... he's now saying I never paid anything and is going to move my things out and drop them off at my parents when I go to work tomorrow what is my steps I'm so overwhelmed
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

Are you asking about whether you have right to stay in his house?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
well isn't it common law now? I'm asking what rights do I have and what is my process going forward how do I handle this? to get my half or money back I spent.. I'm lost in this field of expertise
Expert:  Debra replied 9 months ago.

You are not common law for family law purposes until you've lived together for 3 years or have a child together.

And common law spouses don't have property rights in any event. Nor do they have a matrimonial home.

So you don't have a legal right to remain in the home as he owns it and he is telling you to leave.

I know what is not what you wanted to hear but it is the law. I am a senior family lawyer in Ontario.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating even though I could not give you the answer you were hoping for but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Related Canada Law Questions