How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3502
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son-in-law is currently in prison. Our daughter has been

Customer Question

My son-in-law is currently in prison. Our daughter has been talking with a new lawyer about doing an appeal. Is there a template form to request a transfer of files to a new lawyer from the previous lawyer? My daughter says the form needs to be faxed to the prison so he can sign and fax back. Is this correct?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I assume that your daughter is talking to a new criminal lawyer about an appeal of her husband's conviction.

Since the lawyer's client is your son in law, then it's clear that the son in law needs to sign a direction instructing his former counsel to send the file to the new counsel, if that new counsel is willing to take the file.

Your daughter has arranged this, but her husband is still the client and he absolutely needs to sign that instruction for the old and for the new lawyer.

Does that answer your question? if so, may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Did my answer help? Anything else to discuss about this?

Related Canada Law Questions