How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101391
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do you charge because right now I can't pay, Alberta canada,

Customer Question

Do you charge because right now I can't pay
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Alberta canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet. I have had my granddaughter under a kinship agreement for 6 out of her 10 months of life. Social services wants to return her to her mother even though nothing has really changed except the mother has taken a course and passed an exam. The original issues still exist. The mother is on welfare and still in an abusive relationship with the baby's father. Is there anything I can do to keep my granddaughter with me where she's safe and in a functioning intact family?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That about sums it uo
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

You can apply for custody.

This is not all up to Social Services. Even had they not been involved you could apply for custody.

You will have to show the court that living with you is in the best interests of the child.

If at all possible you should retain a family lawyer to act for you. The mother will be able to get one paid for her through legal aid.

You should start thinking about how you will show the court why the child should not live with her mother and how you will be able to raise her best.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?