How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100971
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in province Q. I have received an order issued ex

Customer Question

I live in province Q. I have received an order issued ex parte to be present to court in province O.
Do I have to go personally or can I have an attorney represent me without having to travel and be personally present in court?.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

What is this about?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I received an order for contempt of court in an intellectual property matter. The order is addressed to me personally.
I Live in Canada, Province Q. I am ordered to present myself before the federal court in T in another province.Must I be present personally or can I have an attorney represent me, avoiding me to travel? Or can I get the hearing in my city rather than travel.
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Did you breach a court order?

Is Federal Court sitting in Toronto?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I may have breached an order. The court is sitting in Toronto
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

What you can do is retain a lawyer in Toronto.

The lawyer can attend on your behalf and ask to represent you while you remain in Quebec or you can attend by way of web or teleconference.

If the court denies this the lawyer will ask for an adjournment.

It is vital that you do retain a lawyer. If you miss this hearing a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. And for contempt you can be fined but ultimately can be jailed. So this is now very serious.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?