How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101436
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a self employed computer contractor. I started at a

Customer Question

I am a self employed computer contractor. I started at a small development shop in Toronto. This company headquarters is in the states and we are paid in American dollars. I quit after 1 month (I won't work for an angry man).
I billed them for the month (June 2016). I have not received my cheque yet and my ex-manager has not acknowledged my emails. My ex-managers boss responded to my email to say the cheques were mailed out last month. What is likely happening is my ex-manager is not sending the cheque to get revenge on me and hoping I go away. I am owed 7500 USD.
I need your help to understand what are my options. I've never had to deal with a client not paying. What do I do? small claims court? Collection agency? Help please.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did you try going above the manager's head within the company?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Yes. Neil is the CTO in Canada and Frank is the CEO and is in New York. I have sent emails to both and put a received receipt so I know they're getting them. Frank responded and said the cheques went out last month. I responded to Frank and told him I have not received the cheque and perhaps they can put a stop payment on it and issue a new one and send directly to me (by passing Neil). I have not heard back. I'm pretty sure Neil has the cheque and probably ripped it up.So how do I convince them to pay me? I suspect Neil has dug in and won't pay. What do people normally do in these case? What words can I put in an email (or letter) to convince them to respond?Help.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I suggest that you send Frank a letter and set out the facts and make it clear that waiting for the cheque is no longer an option. Tell him that you require payment by a deadline that you set (perhaps by the end of this week) and tell him if he fails to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can sue in Small Claims Court and self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?