How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a family lawyerI am in BC Canada. I think I need a

Customer Question

I need a family lawyerI am in BC Canada. I think I need a family lawyer to read over a 31 page separation agreement. I'm not going to dispute any spousal or child support amounts but want to make sure nothing tricky is going to happen. I have no reason to suspect for that to happen but just want to make sure. Or maybe you have another suggestion as how to sign the document and protect myself. My wife is expecting the agreement document this week. She is in Coquitlam and I'm in Quesnel. Any suggestions?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: bc canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

31 pages is a lengthy but not unusual for a comprehensive separation agreement.

We can't go over an entire document and provide you with Independent Legal Advice over this site. ILA is important because the lawyer will sign the agreement to certify that ILA has been given to the client, and obviously we can't do that over this site.

However, if you have any specific questions about the proposed agreement then I can try to answer them for you.

You should be taking it to a family lawyer near you for a consult. That will cost a bit (rates vary, feel free to shop around) but this is very important to you. A separation agreement deals with a lot of issues, and essentially governs your kids, money, life, and property for years to come. So please see a lawyer. The best way to find one is to ask family, friends, and colleagues whom they have used and would recommend. It's likely you'll have to tell your ex that you need more time, I hope that's not a problem.

So do you have any specific questions about the terms? I assume that you've looked up the figures for child and spousal support and found them to be agreeable? What does it say about child custody? Is your time sharing schedule agreeable?