Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

Sure! It's a quick one. I work at what is considered to be a

Customer Question

Sure! It's a quick one. I work at what is considered to be a continuous operations company on a 4x10 shift. The last 3 months, we've been forced to work on our scheduled days off due to "operational necessity" I know they can have us work on the stat holiday for that reason, but on a regular basis?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oh sorry, I'm in BC
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, not yet. I've just started looking on line at the federal labour laws to see where we stand & if there's anything we can do We're non union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I don't think so
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

How many days in a row are you being forced to work?

Is this a federally regulated company?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Five days. I know, silly right? We're getting the weekends off. However, we are 4x10 workers, we're supposed to have that extra day off each week. I understand the operational necessity, but for 3 months? As a 4x10, working a 5x10, I would like to know if I am obligated to continue working these hours or can I put my foot down & say "no, I'm a 4x10 & that's it" or something to that effect.
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Are you being paid overtime?

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!