Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

If my "father" was never in my life but knew about the

Customer Question

If my "father" was never in my life but knew about the entire time while another man raised me. He messaged me on fb when I was 12 years old telling me he is my father ect. Just wasn't ready to meet him at that time cause I was young. But he never offered financial help. Then came back texting me ect when I was 18. Went crazy when he came to meet me when I was 20. He got this massive tattoo of my name and bday dates on his arm and tells people I'm his daughter he's my father ect. But he's never paid for my post secondary or ever offered significant financial help. Are my mom and I able to take him to court for child support? I'm extremely fed up about how he knew about me but was NEVER there for me when my parents were broke and could barely afford shoes but now he wants to be a parent....
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alberta Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No it's all been verbal and my mom didn't have money for lawyers when I was young
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that covers a lot of the basics! I do know he's had a good job my entire life and has made good money. Doesn't have any other kids. Owns his vehicle and his house.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you still in school now?

Did your mother know where he was over the years?

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!