Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother is very ill and in December of last year while she

Customer Question

My mother is very ill and in December of last year while she was in hospital we had a document setup (Legal Canadian Will Kit ). Included in this document is a Last Will And Testament., Living Will, and Enduring Power of Attorney. In communication with one of her insurance companies they would not accept this document. Therefore we cannot talk to them on behalf of our mother. My question is why would they not accept this document and what do I need to do to be able to get the proper documents.
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?
Customer: I'm not sure what you mean by the state it is in/ it has been stamped if that's what you mean?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I think so ...how would I know?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do i go about setting up a new document or if possible firm up the existing document.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear this.What province are you in please?Are you saying that your mother was mentally competent when she signed the power of attorney that was to continue when she was no longer competent?What is the reason that the insurance company is giving for not considering that document to be valid?