How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99963
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married in Jamaica 10 years ago. It was a fake

Customer Question

I got married in Jamaica 10 years ago. It was a fake marriage, her uncle promised me $10,000 if I file it in Canada and start immigration process for her. I never filed it in Canada and never received money for it. A month ago I got a letter from her layer that she wants a divorce even though her uncle told me a couple month after the marriage that it was canceled and I shouldn't worry about it.
My question is can I get an annulment ? Do I need to file anything in Canada?
She doesn't want an annulment , only divorce ... But why should I agree for divorce if it was fraud marriage of convenience ?
Looking for any advice
Thank you in advance
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm from Calgary, Alberta
Marriage was in Jamaica
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not in canada
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Where does she live?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She lives in Jamaica Cambridge in the parish of st James
Never been in Canada
I left right after the marriage, never been intimate
Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

I don't know the law in Jamaica.

If you wanted to end the marriage in Canada you would need a divorce not an annulment.

She can apply for the divorce in Canada as you live here or in Jamaica as she lives there.

You certainly don't have to consent.

I assume that she can serve you with documents just as she could if she were divorcing you here and then you could ignore them and she would get the divorce by default.

So you can simply ignore her.

But just know that until she gets the divorce you cannot legally marry without your getting a divorce first.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions