How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100450
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a child is over 18 and didn't finish high school and now

Customer Question

If a child is over 18 and didn't finish high school and now (still 18) decides to go back to high school am I still responsible to continue child support payments in Alberta?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm actually in Calgary, Aberta Canada, I didn't realize this was an american site as I googled for Alberta
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: filed or reported? Not sure you mean
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am a family lawyer in Canada. Please don't worry.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Yes you are required to pay child support if the child is attending school full-time and living at home.

It doesn't matter that there was a break in the schooling.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what constitutes full time
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

In high school the child should be taking at 6 credits if this is grade 12. 5 may work but less than that may not be considered full-time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
how many credits is a class?
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

What I meant was six courses.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
per semester?
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is this a semester school so they do courses for half a year and the change to other courses?

If that is the case then it would be three courses per term.

The idea is if they are attending school full-time they cannot work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** that answers my questions
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome.

I hope things work out.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions