How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are Americans living in Canada with my husband's work.

Customer Question

We are Americans living in Canada with my husband's work. Our dependent daughter would like to pursue work in the tv/film industry and several agents are interested, however we've been told she needs a work permit. What is the best/fastest way for her to be eligible for work here in BC?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: We're in British Columbia. American citizens.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, we are here under my husbands work permit.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What has to happen is your daughter has to first get a job offer.

When she gets the offer the potential employer has to apply to the government for what is called a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and the government will determine whether it is acceptable to offer this job to someone who is not Canadian or not. If they determine that there are not a lot of Canadians to fill the position they will give the employer a positive LMIA.

Then your daughter would apply for the work permit.

Here is a link to the information you will need about the permit application:

I hope that helps as a starting point.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the Feb 2015 decision regarding temporary foreign workers in canada make the company hiring her exempt from having to do the LMIA? Employers can pay a $230 compliance fee? Is there any possible way to acquire an open work permit? It's really hard to seek work when there's a permit issue standing in the way.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you mean.

But there is no basis that I know of for your daughter to be able to get an open work permit. That is only for spouse's of temporary work permit holders.

And the compliance fee is mandatory if that is what you are asking about.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?