How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3467
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got in a fight with my boyfriend he was drunk I reported

Customer Question

I got in a fight with my boyfriend he was drunk I reported him to the police .. can I cancel my statement?would I get in trouble ?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are you in? When did this happen?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ontario a few weeks ago
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

OK, can you tell me more about what happened? Don't use details that can identify you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He got drunk and while he was drunk he pushed me left a mark. I went to the police and the police told us to stay away from each other. I should not have been near him while he was drinking... can I withdraw my statement?
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

You can't withdraw a statement without risk to yourself, but you can change the statement.

Have criminal charges been laid?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No criminal charges are being laid no .. what can I do? What do I say ?
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

If no criminal charges are being laid then you have nothing to worry about. If you change your story or follow up, the police might think that charges should be laid.

I think you should leave this alone and your boyfriend should consider himself lucky he's not in jail. I hope he's sufficiently warned not to get physical anymore.

Anything else about this to discuss?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If we get caught in public together could we not get in trouble ? We were told to stay away from one another..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
best to keep quiet ?
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Technically, no. There's no restraining order or anything in place or you'd have been given paperwork.

I think that the police are trying to tell your boyfriend that they could have charged him but they didn't.

If you wanted to be most careful, you could follow up with the police thanking them for their intervention and advising that you two are in counselling together. But that should be true before you tell them.

Maybe counselling is a good thing. When couples get into physical fights after drinking, that's a real warning sign.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does . We did not receive any paper work just a warNing... yes I am in counselling and so is he. We agreed no more alcohol... one more question..
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we shold not be in trouble hanging out together it's been two weeks since this happened
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

I know you want me to tell you that it's ok to be together. I can't promise that.

If the same police sees you together, and wants to charge him for what happened two weeks ago, the charge could be still laid. I'd find that very unusual but I can't promise that it won't happen.

Maybe you should contact the officer, as I suggested, thanking him or her and reporting that you're in counselling and asking if there's going to be any legal trouble if you're seen together in public. The officer will most likely say that if he steps out of line again they'll charge him to the fullest extent of the law.

I hope I've helped. Please reply if there's anything further. If I've answered you, I'd appreciate a positive service rating please. Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Did my answers help? Is there anything more about this that you want to discuss?

Related Canada Law Questions