How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was with my former partner for almost 14 years, from 1995

Customer Question

I was with my former partner for almost 14 years, from 1995 to 2008. We owned a home together as well as it's contents. He ended the relationship. We both hired lawyers and agreed to split the value of the home 50 50 and I recieved $210,000. Because he made more and I gave up a permanent teaching contract in Edmonton to move with him, my lawyer suggested he should pay me alimony or give me a lump sum payment. He gave me $50, 000. I did not go after his retirement fund, rsps, or investments. I believe now that was a mistake. Is it possible to file a claim now, approximately 7 years later?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

This was a common law relationship, correct?

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Did you get a chance to read my question to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.