How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3527
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have the same situation as the customer with the charge of

Customer Question

Hello, I have the same situation as the customer with the charge of luring a child.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I haven't been formally charged, but last night Creep Catchers caught me on video meeting with a minor. This is in BC, Canada
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I spoke to a criminal lawyer, who suggested that there's nothing he can do if/when charges are laid. But he did suggest that I write down all my recollection of events, thoughts, things I remember, and to remain silent if the police do lay charges. I've notified my employer of this situation as it may get to media. The criminal lawyer suggested I consult a civil attorney if I want to try and prevent the video from being posted.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: British Columbia, Canada
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was informed during my chat with the individual that they were 14 early on in the conversation. My messages in no way suggested that I wanted a sexual encounter, nor did I send an photos. I'm trying to assess my risk and figure out how I should proceed.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thanks for the thread. I wrote on that luring charge.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm trying to figure out my risk here and next steps. What I need to do to protect myself. Should I hire a lawyer now (civil/criminal) or wait until charges are laid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently there's no guarantee that Creep Catchers formally report to the police, but I don't know.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Tell me about what you've learned from your research on Creep Catchers. Who are they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are a vigilante group across Canada with units in major cities across the country. They operate independently with local Facebook pages and Youtube accounts where they post the videos. Videos may also be posted to the national Creep Catchers webpage ( I was caught by the Surrey group. They have become quite active in this area over the last couple of months and apparently post all videos resulting from their sting operations. The local police (RCMP) aren't happy about their activities. I'm worried because I work for a public institution, so this could get caught up in media.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

You have three options that I can see.

Firstly, you do nothing and hope that this group doesn't consider the video to be interesting or incriminating enough to post on the site. I don't know if they know you're real name, I hope not. If they don't and the video doesn't clearly show your face then you won't garner much attention even if the video is posted. If your face is clear on the video then they can probably find out who you are by searching the web. So a good idea for now might be do delete all the pictures of your face that you can from your various accounts, and either temporarily or totally deactivate them or restrict who can see them to you only.

Secondly, you could contact the group and plead your innocence and remind them that they'll be destroying a career and life and family if they do post the video. I hope that they don't have more than one video of you, and that you don't have a history or criminal record for this sort of thing.

Thirdly, go see a civil lawyer. Have that lawyer write them a letter threatening court action, including an injunction against them and defamation action with damages and legal costs, if they do post it and you want their commitment to delete the video without any dissemination. The lawyer will know what to do. These guys are skirting the law themselves and I doubt that they'll want the cost or annoyance of a court case against them at this point. Of course, if they call you're bluff and post the video because they want media attention from a lawsuit against them, you have some harder choices to make.

Those are my best recommendations. Choose well, or go see a lawyer in person and see what they think right away.

Anything else to discuss? I'm here if you want to comment or reply. If I've answered you fully I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just discovered that they posted the video. It has my name, license plate, etc. and they had all this information before unfortunately. They are posting videos regardless of the consequences or law, so there wouldn't have been any point in pleading my case. Thank you for your input. My life is already disrupted and I'm just trying to take responsibility. Hopefully no criminal charges will result.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Go see a lawyer right away. All you can do now is get an injunction from the court, ordering them to remove it and not disseminate further.

Good luck, and please don't forget that rating.

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 year ago.

Or was there more about this that you wanted to discuss?