Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I have a car. it is in my mothers name. I make all the

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hello. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a car . it is in my mothers name. I make all the payments and insure the car. I have had the car for 2.5 years. I have never defaulted on a payment. I have well maintained the car. She is demanding that I give her the car back. Does she have to pay me for the payments I've already made? Is she allowed to take it back?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Ontario and I bought it new. I also put the down payment on it
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no that is the basics of it. But upon purchasing the car we had a verbal contract that I would make all the payments on the car. Can she go back on our agreement? Also wouldn't she be responsible for paying what I've paid into the car if she decides to take it back?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

If the car is in your mother's name then she's free to take the car at any time. It's her car.

She doesn't have to pay you back for anything unless there's a court order saying that she does. And you could get that order by going to court, but I don't know if you want to sue your mother.

However, it's her car.

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear. Please don't shoot the messenger. Is there anything more to discuss? If I've answered you then I'd appreciate a positive service rating please.