How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ulysses101 Your Own Question
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 3478
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Ulysses101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I accidently fell on a sidewalk that was not properly

Customer Question

I accidently fell on a sidewalk that was not properly maintained by the City of Montreal which resulted in serious brain injury/blood clots.I suffered a traumatic Subdural Hematoma
and related side effects as a direct result of this accident.Months of follow up and monitoring
Of my condition by a neuro surgeon resulted in the necessity of undergoing brain surgery and follow-up rehabilitation. I was an inpatient at both the Montreal General Hospital and the Jewish Rehabilitation Hospital from July 11,2016 until August 11,2016. I want to know
what recourse I have against the City of Montreal in respect of this matter.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Have you talked to any lawyers about this yet?

When did you fall?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1. No
2. February 29,2016
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

OK, you need to speak to a personal injury lawyer. They will discuss with you how strong a case you might have.

When one wants to sue a government for negligence, one needs to look at what system of maintenance is in place and whether the government stuck to that system, and whether that system is reasonable to catch quickly damage to public facilities in order to protect the population. That sounds complicated, but essentially it comes down to this: just because there was a crack in the sidewalk doesn't automatically make the city liable. Having said that, the city certainly has insurance so your lawyer won't be afraid to send them a demand letter.

You'll also need a lawyer to look over your medical issues, and talk to you about the impact on your life, in order to have a starting point for what your monetary damages will be.

Personal injury lawyers aren't hard to find, they usually advertise. Or you could ask family and friends if they've used someone they could recommend. If you've used a lawyer before, you could call them and ask for a recommendation to a personal injury lawyer as well. Failing all of that you can look online, like at for a listing of lawyers in your area sorted by area of practise. Don't pay a lot of attention to "lawyer rating" websites, I've seen plenty of good lawyers who have been rated poorly by clients who didn't get everything that they were hoping, and I've seen plenty of...uh...less good lawyers rated highly.

You could call around and see who will give you a free consultation, bring your medical documentation with you.

Is that a good place to start? I can't tell you what your claim might "be worth" because I'd need to know a lot more about your injuries and about you.

I'll await your reply with question or comment. If I've answered you I'd appreciate a positive service reply, please. Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Related Canada Law Questions