How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tom B. Your Own Question
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 2263
Experience:  25 years in practice
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Tom B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has sole custody of my 11 year old grand

Customer Question

My daughter has sole custody of my 11 year old grand daughter. My daughter receives $1250 a month my my grand daughters father for the last 10 years. Her father is I believe a multi millionair. He owns at least 2 tim hortons and he and his wife own a multimillion dollar equestrian farm north of Toronto. He has other businesses one of which is head of security for Tony Robbins. I suspect he has other businesses, His wife is the Canadian president of Seniors helpers. When we went to court 10 years ago he stonewalled us costing thousands of dollars in legal fees. I wish I had the money to hire a forensic accountant to find his true income.
Question How to we find his true income and are there any lawyers as who don,t get paid until theb cas is settled
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

In what province are your daughter and grand daughter?

Did they wind up with a an order when at court ten years ago?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

Should I assume that you don't have the order there in front of you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no I don,t have it
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

OK, that would have helped a lot, but we can assume a few things.

The vast majority of court orders made in family court over the recent past will have a clause which says that the payor is to provide the recipient with his income information annually, probably including Income Tax Return or Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada. Sometimes the parents are ordered to exchange their income information annually, especially if they are sharing the child's extraordinary expenses over and above child support.

Even if that term isn't in the order, your daughter is entitled to ask yearly because she's the support recipient.

Do you know if your daughter has been receiving this information? Or if she's asked for it?

Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 11 months ago.

I'm stepping away from my computer for a bit, perhaps you're asking your daughter about the order and about whether she's asked him for his income disclosure. I'll be back online this afternoon.

Related Canada Law Questions