Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am renting a parking spot to someone living in another

Customer Question

I am renting a parking spot to someone living in another building. I now need this spot for my own tenants and when I gave him 2 weeks notice he insisted the landlord tenant act says I have to give him 60 days notice.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  rdgaines replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is Richard and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I just realized this is a US site. I'm in Canada. I don't think you can help me.

We have Canadian landlord tenant experts. I will opt out so a Canadian law expert can help you. Please do not respond as that will only slow the process.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

I am a lawyer in Canada and happy to help.

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ontario
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

The Residential Tenancies Act has no application at all. It doesn't cover parking spots. That notice period was just made up by the renter. There is nothing about 60 days notice in the Act except where a tenant who is renting a residential unit wants to move out.

So you can just tell him the agreement is over and that if he continues to leave his car in the spot you will have it towed at his expense.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?