I am trying to find out how to dispute a claim from a

Customer Question
community where I own land...
I am trying to find out how to dispute a claim from a community where I own land. Due to a change of address not being properly updated, I did not receive notifications of taxes due or lettered when they were selling the land. They sold the land for a sum of 3000$ plus tax equaling 3449.25$. They made errors on the paper work not giving new owners full deed to whole property. As a result, they had to refund the purchasers and pay some additional amounts for legal fees ect. They are now requesting we pay the back taxes of 880.99 for previous years plus 590.36 for 2015 plus current year taxes, as well as the $3449.25 amount originally paid by the purchasers which they had to refund plus money they paid for indemnification an amount of around 2670$. The total is about 7600$ they are asking for a Falt amount of $7000.
It seems absurd to ask for money they collected and then had to pay back as well as legal fees incurred by their error and mismanagement of the title docs where in it listed the lot number. Is this arguable or should I not waste my time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
8/17/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

Thank you for your question.

How much do you believe you should owe?

And are you saying they want you to pay them the money that they returned to the purchasers when they are not even out of pocket for those monies?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe just the back taxes with interest plus current year.
And yes they are also asking for the monies they collected and then returned as well as an amount of around $2670 that they paid the purchasers for indemnification.
While total of all items listed, not including current years taxes, comes to around 7600$ they are asking for a flat amount of $7000.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fist sentence should have read, I believe we should just pay for....

I agree with you. You should certainly not have to pay for any monies that they charge because of their error. And most assuredly why would you pay for the money they have to pay back when they received it first?

I believe that you should be paying for all the taxes that you owe plus any penalties and interest.

As well, if this went to court you might have to pay any fees they incurred when dealing with essentially foreclosing on your property.

I suggest that as your next step in the local lawyer send them a letter threatening a lawsuit.

It is very likely they will back down once they hear the lawyer's logic and hear that the lawyer will be involved in suing.

Of course, if you do have to go to court to be much better to self represent because the legal fees will more than what you are fighting for.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Debra, Lawyer