My daughter is attending a summer program through our city

Customer Question
My daughter is attending a...
My daughter is attending a summer program through our city (Terrace BC) .It is stated in registration and info that the program is peanut - free " no exceptions" My daughter has a peanut allergy. Today the program provided a treat that was not peanut -free. The workers claimed this is ok and provided an alternative (a coupon to an ice cream shop that is not peanut -free). What is the city's legal obligation here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Canada Law
8/17/2016
Lawyer: Debra, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Debra, Lawyer

I am shocked and saddened to hear this.

How old is your daughter?

Was she put at risk or was she just left out?

What is the explanation for this being okay?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My daughter is 8 years old. She was left out of the activity. They asked her if she could eat the chocolate. When she wasn't sure they decided to exclude her. Their explanation was that they had done this in the past (provided non peanut -free snacks) and other children were not harmed when they ate the chocolate (from a bulk food bin where there could be cross-contamination). The leader also stated her supervisor at the city was ok with this. Also they provided her with an alternative (coupon). However I stated that this was exclusionary and isolating. She has been in this program for two years and at no time was I ever informed that there would be communal snacks. As far as I was aware the only food she would be able to eat was the food I sent for her.

You said you were speaking to the city supervisor the next day. What came out of that conversation?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She agreed that the program should be peanut free including any treats provided by the city. She said she would discuss this with the program leaders. So it seems things are resolved. Thank you.

Thank you for letting me know. I was really troubled by what happened and I am glad this appears to be resolved.

Take good care.

Tom B.
Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor