How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99931
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a lawsuit pending in Small Claims Court. How do I go

Customer Question

I have a lawsuit pending in Small Claims Court. How do I go about adding my Strata and another owner. The Strata has already been suggested by two Judges.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

Is this in BC?

Have you gone as far as a pre-trial settlement conference?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

What you will have to do is to bring a motion to the court asking the court for leave to amend your statement of claim to add these parties.

If you had a pretrial settlement conference perhaps the judge there already granted you leave?

You have to serve the motion materials on the defendant or any other parties but it may be that they will consent to the motion.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there anything special I have to add the Strata Corporation instead of a person?
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

There is nothing special about adding the corporation and to serve them you just have to serve someone in authority.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No no no I don't need to be called.
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I actually cannot speak to you on the phone in any event.

I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions