How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100434
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After haven gotten an online divorce is there still a way I

Customer Question

after haven gotten an online divorce is there still a way I can get support payments or some of the cpp we were married over 27 years
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

What do you mean when you say you got an online divorce?

When was the divorce judgment signed?

When did you separate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Judge signed papers went thought the system but no lawyers he said the would give me some financial supports but none so far. Separated but not through the courts in around 2006
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Let me clarify.

There is no such thing as an online divorce but what I suspect is that you got a simple divorce on consent.

Nothing was covered except for the divorce itself.

Now you are asking if you can apply for the support and for your share of CPP.

Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was a stay at home mom for the most part also wondering about support payments
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Was there a separation agreement?

Why did you wait until now to deal with this?

How have you managed until now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was emotionally abused so when he said sign I did been working but times are harder waited because people told me no use but see n what other wives have gotten form divorce no separation agreement
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am saddened to hear that.Your marriage was very long and you will be entitled to support which would go on indefinitely.I suggest that as your next step you consult with a family lawyer face-to-face with a view to bringing an application for spousal support at once. The longer you wait the harder it will be to convince the court that you need support because you've been managing so far.Does that help as a starting point.Feel free to post back with any follow-up questions that you may have. If you do not have any follow-up questions I hope that I have earned a five star rating. However, if you feel that I have not then please do not hesitate to let me know how I can best assist you.Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will still be here for you and you can ask me follow up questions at a later date without any further charge.

Related Canada Law Questions