Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I took my 2015 Ford Escape into a Jiffy Lube location to get

Customer Question

I took my 2015 Ford Escape into a Jiffy Lube location to get an oil change done on July 30th, 2016. Everything appeared normal but on Wednesday August 3rd, 2016 as I was driving on my way to work my engine light and oil light came on in my dash. I pulled over as soon as possible at a safe spot. As I slowed down to pull over smoke was coming from my exhaust pipes and my engine was making unusual sounds. When I pulled over I contacted work and notified them that I would be late as I have have car troubles. I then called for a tow truck as my vehicle was no longer able to drive. I contacted the Heartland Ford dealership in Fort Saskatchewan and told them that I was having vehicle problems and that I would be bringing my SUV into their dealership by tow truck.
I had asked them to investigate why my engine was making noises and smoke was coming from my exhaust pipes. The service advisor that I was dealing with got my SUV into the shop on Monday, August 8th, 2016 and in their findings they discovered that my oil filter was lose (able to spin the oil filter with 1 finger), they also pulled out the dip stick and there was no oil.
I had contacted Jiffy Lube to let them know that I had recently been in and had a oil change done and that I was now having vehicle issues.
Ford has estimated that the cost to repair the damages is going to be $13000. I forwarded all of the findings to Jiffy Lube and they have put in a claim to their insurance company, but now they are trying to put the blame on me.
I had gone into Jiffy Lube to get a service and that service was done at subpar standards and now I am out of a vehicle.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Who is trying to put the blame on you? Jiffy Lube or their insurance company?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jiffy Lube/their insurance company
Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

So what you can do is send a letter to Jiffy Lube by Registered Mail. Give them a deadline to pay you. Tell them if they fail to comply you will commence legal proceedings and then be seeking interest and your costs.

Then if they don't comply you should start a claim in Small Claims Court. You can self-represent and if it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 11 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?