How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100483
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have question, i took my friend money to send it out of

Customer Question

i have question, i took my friend money to send it out of canada for investment and now that company is in financial trouble and my friend wants me to charge me with fraud. what should i do ?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: sent it to japan, i also lost or case is the court in japan
JA: Are we your first resource? And has anything been filed in court?
Customer: yes you are the first one in canada i have contacted.
JA: Thank you.
Customer: anybody there ?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.How much money are you talking about here?Has your friend called the police?Did you know that the company was going to go bankrupt?Did your friend understand that this was an investment and therefore there would be a risk involved?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
money we are talking about it is $150,000. 00 canadian. friend has not called the police yet
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
This is a lot of money and you can see why your friend is upset.However, investments are risks and so long as this was a legitimate investment and you did not pocket the money nor did you try to defraud your friend alone or for that company outside of Canada then you have not committed any offence and you are also not liable to your friend for that money.If you misrepresented something to your friend or lied to your friend then it could very well be fraud and you could also be sued successfully.Does that help as a starting point?Feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you feel that we are done I hope that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not feel that I have earned a five star rating then please do not hesitate to post back and let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will still be here for you and you can post back with any further follow-up question you think of later on at no further charge.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions