How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101416
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Canadian citizen, living overseas, and recently

Customer Question

I am a Canadian citizen, living overseas, and recently married to a Russian. What should I do to get her a PR? How long does it take? I am a expecting a baby by April 2017. How easy and quick would it be to claim his Canadian nationality, if he's born overseaes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Are you planning on moving back with your spouse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No plan to head back at this point.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then she cannot become a permanent resident.

You can sponsor her as your spouse only when you are moving back to Canada.

Your son is automatically a Canadian citizen no matter where he is born because you are.

When he is born you can apply for proof of citizenship with the government and then a few weeks or so later you will get it. You can then get him a passport when you wish.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.