How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100415
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 84 year old father is being harassed by a woman next

Customer Question

My 84 year old father is being harassed by a woman next door. She is known to police, but they say they can't do anything. It is affecting his health, he can not even go outside to water his little garden, he built a new deck, but cannot sit outside in peace. This woman is known, usually she just yells at her husband. She, at the top of her lungs has accused my Dad of being a pedifile, a abuser of his sister, and a daughter, Please can you hekp?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province is this?

What reason does the police state for not being able to help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ontario. The police say they can do nothing unless there is a physical altercation. My sister, who lives there, chased her off the property. She was in his front yard, yelling, and my sister went out to the front porch, ordered her off the property. She refused to move until Lynne took a step down the stair. Then, she ran back to her house. Next thing, the police were at my sisters door. The person called the police on Lynne! My Dad has lived here for 4 years. Never a problem until about a week ago or so. The police "sympathise" with Dad, but cannot do anything, so they say. This woman has had altercations, verbally, with all the neighbours around. Dad has talked to them. They approached him, and told him about the problems they have had with her. He cannot get a restraining order, as, since he now plans to sell, this will have to be disclosed. So, what now? Dad just wants to try and keep the peace. But in the meantime, he cannot enjoy his own space. We are going to put up more privacy fencing, at a cost, but what else can we do?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
How horrible.What you can do is retain a lawyer and have the lawyer send her a letter threatening a lawsuit. It is likely the case that when she gets a letter on lawyers letterheas this bully will become afraid because bullies usually do.Your father can start a lawsuit for damages without applying for a restraining order.I also don't believe that the police are handling this correctly and it may help yo get a lawyer to speak to the police and get them to step up. They should at least warn her to stop.Does that help as a starting point?Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions that you have. If you feel that we are done I hope that I earned a five star rating but if you do not feel that I'd have them please do not hesitate to let me know how I can better assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate to me I will still be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions later on without any further charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the input and the info. How do I contact you with further questions as my issue is ongoing? Right now, things are calm, but my Father has decided to sell his house instead of having to put up with this person. Pretty bad. He is a pensioner, a senior. Not made of money. But at his age, peace of mind, and security are utmost. Why does he not have the protection ? I know that there are laws protecting seniors. Maybe you can tell me why not here in Ontario?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There are plenty of laws and resources that help seniors from abuse. But that it not for cases of abuse or harassment by neighbours. It is where family members are financially abusing them, or others are or where there is physical abuse.

The police should be doing more but for some odd reason will not and they are explaining the law incorrectly.

Perhaps you can speak to a supervisor at the police station?

My name is***** on this site and just put my name into the question next time you post.

Thanks and take good care.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with?

Related Canada Law Questions