How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101395
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver, BC from Denver

Customer Question

Hello, I'm thinking of moving to Vancouver, BC from Denver Colorado. I co-own a couple businesses in the US and just looking to work from my house. Curious how I can legally live in Cabada for a year or two, whether I'll owe US and Canadian income taxes and if my girlfriend will need paperwork to find a job on Canada...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

Are you asking about becoming a permanent resident of Canada?

Is your girlfriend your common law spouse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I don't intend to become a permanent resident, im just looking to live there for a year or two (can look into further options if we decide to stay longer). My girlfriend has lived with me for 5 years, common law would depend on who you ask (I think Canadian law would say "yes"). I own my business, would work from home but my girlfriend would need to be able to find a job in Canada. The last thing is want is to move there and be told that I can't legally work while in Canada...
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can come to visit but that visit can only be for six months. You may be able to stay longer if you leave and come back but there is no basis for you to move to Canada just like that. It is the same as i the US. People cannot move to the US and live there. They need to get a green card.

You also cannot work in Canada without a work permit. But if you are not entering the workforce it may be OK.

And if your girlfriend comes to Canada she would need to obtain a work permit.

Do you see what I mean. Just think about how it works in the States and you will understand how it is in Canada as well.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any more help at this point in time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, it seems if I'm looking to stay longer I'll have to go through Canada's immigration site and apply for the proper permits (green card, work permits).
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

We don't have green cards.

But if you want to work here for a time then you would need a work permit.

Your green card is what we call becoming a permanent resident.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am terribly sorry to hear this.

Are you saying the $200 is just a credit for another flight?