How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99972
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does Canada consider me a citizen? My mom was born in Canada

Customer Question

Does Canada consider me a citizen? My mom was born in Canada to Canadian parents in 1944. She and her family moved to the United States when she was 13, and she became a US citizen at 18. She did not renounce her citizenship with the Canadian government. I was born in the US in 1977, and I have always lived in the US. Would I be given a Canadian citizenship certificate if I apply for it?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for your question. You are most assuredly a Canadian citizen. You do not have to apply for citizenship. Rather, you simply have to apply for a documentation that acknowledges you are a citizen. After that you would be free to get a Canadian passport if you wish.

All you will have to prove to the government is that your mother was a Canadian citizen when you were born.

Does that answer your question?

Feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you might have. If you feel we are done I hope that I have earned a five star rating. If you do not feel that I have and please do not hesitate to let me how I can better assist you. Finally, please understand that even after you wake me I will still be here for you if you have any follow questions if you think of them a later date.

Related Canada Law Questions