How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101375
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a US citizen and years old. I have a BA, MA and PhD 1)

Customer Question

I am a US citizen and 69 years old. I have a BA, MA and PhD
1) I got landed immigrant status in Canada May 1968 and I lived and worked in BC on and off until August 1977 when I went to Africa to do development work. I have heard that I can reclaim my "landed immigrant" status if I am willing to reside in Canada for two years without any social services (health insurance etc.).
a. Is this correct?
b. Is it possible that a "kind" immigration officer could waive this requirement and just re-instate by status immediately?
c. If so, what is the requirement for "staying in Canada"? (Continuous 730 days or what?)
2) The self-employed "artist" classification looks like it might be easier and more natural for me. I have several books and CD's that have been published. I also have a children's book that is completed but not yet published and a novel that is in the early stages of writing.
3) I could also consider teaching at a university or a training school. (I have taught for the last 6 years at a university in China)(I have no job offers so far.)
4) My wife is an accountant and we might also consider getting her a student visa to bring her skills into line with Canadian / BC requirements and to top up her English (her English is weak).
Please share any thoughts you might have regarding the above.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I have one question myself before I can answer. Can you let me know whether you were working for a Canadian employer when you were doing your work in Africa?
Expert:  erwin-cssm replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steven,
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (
Thank you, ***** Support Team.