How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100382
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hallo, I am a US citizen who lives in Dubai, UAE. I married

Customer Question

I am a US citizen who lives in Dubai, UAE. I married a man who was married to a woman who resides in Montreal. He divorced her, married me, then returned to her in lawful marriage though I do not accept polygamy. Then he "broke up" with me claiming I was not his wife in front of her and his children, mother and sisters. later he came back to Dubai and wanted to resume the marriage with me but asked for secrecy and a "fake" divorce papers to satisfy his wife in Canada. I felt so distressed and humiliated. I found myself in a forced polygamy situation and though our pronounced religion was Islam he knows I do not believe in polygamy nor that was my agreement with him. I am also not a practicing Muslim and in his Syrian culture and my culture this is not acceptable and highly frowned upon. Now I am between accepting secrecy and polygamy to stay or unjust and unfair divorce again in secret and with no compensation.
I want to sure for emotional damages and for moral damages. Can I sue in Canada since he has some assets there and his residency is also there plus his wife residency? Or what is the best course of action. I am angry and very upset and I want to see I get a fair day in court for what this man did to me. Please advice.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

How long did you live together before you separated after you married?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have known him for 10 months and married for one and a half before he returned to his first wife while still married to me and attempted to end his relationship with me. I am seeking moral and emotional distress damages. I feel used and mislead and that he had bad intentions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please note when I say returns to his first wife I mean to be married to her with her full knowledge he was still married to me (polygamy) though he knows I would never accept that.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If he married her after marrying you then in the eyes of the law in Canada that second marriage is not valid.

You have no means of suing him in Canada.

In Canada you cannot sue for moral damages. And you cannot sue because a marriage ends no matter what the reason.

Had he supported you for some time you could sue for support.

If your marriage lasted more than 5 years or so you could sue to share in the value of any assets acquired during the marriage.

But unfortunately based on our laws there is no grounds for suing him.

You can report him to the police if you like as bigamy is a crime in Canada.

I am sorry this happened to you and sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for but you've been hurt enough and you need the right answer so you are not harmed further.