How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99979
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Mother has passed away 2 years ago. She left us 4 sisters

Customer Question

My Mother has passed away 2 years ago. She left us 4 sisters .25% of the house and her common law husband of 30 years 75%. She had the house in her name and we have finished probate and are now proceeding with transfer to common law husband. He thinks fair market value of the house is his property tax or what the bank will give him. (house is paid off) How do we determine fair market value?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is this for buy out purposes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is going to buy us out
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The property tax assessment is not appropriate. It will be much too low.

You have to have the property assessed by a professional assessor.

They will consider all the details about the house and provide an assessment that can even be used in court if necessary.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would the professional assessor be from the bank?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.


There are dozens and dozens to choose from. They are used for matrimonial cases every day as well as for many other legal and not legal issues.

You can google and speak to a few of them.

Or if you know a lawyer you can get a lawyer to suggest one for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had the bank assess that proper assessment?

Related Canada Law Questions