Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

How do I get my name on the deed Canadian property that has

Customer Question

How do I get my name on the deed for a Canadian property that has my deceased husbands name on it now. And what documents do I need and where do I go in Fort Frances Ontario to do this?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are both your names on title now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Just his and 4 others.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Who are the 4 others?

Was title held as joint tenants or tenant in common?

Was there a Will?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The 4 others were partners in the shack. I believe it was joint tenants. No will. Everything was given to me his spouse. I am executor of estate.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure these answers are correct. If the title is held as joint tenants then your spouse's interest vests in the other four and the property does not form part of the estate. If that is the case then you don't get an interest in the property.

If there is no Will then there is no executor. If your spouse died intestate then you would be the administrator of the estate and would only get all of his assets if there were no children.

Do you understand what I am explaining?