How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Maven Your Own Question
Law Maven
Law Maven, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 164
Experience:  Lawyer & Instructor at Algonquin Careers Academy
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Law Maven is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are there .C. lawyers who are active in indigenous peoples'

Customer Question

Are there B.C. lawyers who are active in indigenous peoples' customary adoption?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Law Maven replied 1 year ago.

Hello – my name is***** am a Canadian lawyer, and I’ll be happy to help with your question today.

There are quite a few B.C. law firms that have specialists in Indigenous legal matters, although most of them seem to deal primarily with issues such as land claims or business development. Typically, lawyers who do family law are the ones who are active in adoption matters, so essentially what you need is a family lawyer who works with native clients.

One suggestion would be to contact Patricia M. Barkaskas who is the director of the Indigenous Community Legal Clinic. She practices family law, as well as child protection and criminal law, and if she cannot help you directly, she would know who to recommend that could assist you.

She can be reached through the clinic at:

Tel:(###) ###-####br />Fax:(###) ###-####br />E-mail: *****@******.***

If the clinic is closed over the summer months, or if she does not get back to you as quickly as you need, the other option is to contact the Bar Association's British Columbia branch. They have a lawyer referral service, that you can reach here:

If you have a more specific question about adoptions, I may be able to help find an answer, so please let me know.

I hope I have fully answered your question, but please do not hesitate to ask for more information if needed. When you are satisfied with the answer, kindly provide me a positive rating so I can receive credit for my answer.

My answer here contains only general legal information and not legal advice. No solicitor/client relationship has been created by this communication.