How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99931
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Myself Prathap. We are a couple from India.We got married

Customer Question

Hi ,
Myself Prathap. We are a couple from India.We got married six months ago aginst the wish of our parents. Now we are facing a life threat from them. so we are planning to come to visit canada and file refugee. Your suggestions on this will be most appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You can make a refugee claim at a Canadian border or airport, or from within Canada.

There are essentially two grounds for obtaining refugee status.

One way is you meet the definition of a Convention Refugee. The other is if is you are considered to be a person in need of protection.

To be a Convention refugee, you must have a well-founded fear of being persecuted in your home country because of your:

* Race,
* Religion,
* Nationality,
* Political opinion, or
* Membership in a particular social group. (This can be a group that you chose to join, such as a labour union, or that you belong to because of who you are, such as a family. If you fear persecution because of your gender or sexual orientation, your claim is based on membership in a particular social group.)

You must also be unable or unwilling to return to your country because of your fear and the conditions there.

To be a person in need of protection, you must be someone who, if you had to return to your home country, would more likely than not face:

* Torture,
* A risk to your life, or
* A risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

If you face a risk to your life, or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment, you must show all of the following:

* You are not able to get protection from the government in your country.
* The risk affects you personally and is not faced generally by other people in your country. For example, the risk is not the result of a famine or civil war.
* The risk is not the result of government laws, such as punishment for committing a crime, unless these laws violate international standards.
* The risk is not caused by the fact that you cannot get adequate medical care in your country unless this is because of persecution or discrimination.

If you are at an airport or border, you can start your claim by telling a immigration officer that you want to make a refugee claim.

If you are already in Canada, you can contact CIC to start your claim.

Here is a link to the government webpage that explains how this all works:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i read all the information on websites. This info I got is in general and not at all specific to me.Im not satisfied with your answer.Thank you
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am not your lawyer. I cannot answer about your specifics. That would be unlawful as you are not my client and I cannot provide legal advice or practice law online.

If you want to understand more details of the law then let me know what more you need to know. This is a conversation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have deducted $34 from my account without my permission. Return me back my money.This is not fair.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Please read the terms of service of the site and also the explanation of how this works.

I am a practicing lawyer and I log into the site the way you do. I see a list of questions and decide which to answer based on my expertise. I have no idea about what you paid the site or what your agreement with the site is.

However, the site is not a free site and it is certainly fair that you pay like everyone else to use the site.

If you were promised a free question then speak to customer service.

I didn't do anything with your money nor do I have the ability to refund you anything.

But if you are not intending to pay me for my time then please do not contact me again as that is not fair. I cannot afford to work for free and the numerous customers who are waiting for me are going to pay me.

If you do want to continue I am happy to help so long as you understand that I don't want to continue and then at the end have you ask the site for a refund and/or rate me negatively. I need to preserve my standing on the site.


Related Canada Law Questions