Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Six volunteer, retired seniors out of a group of twenty

Customer Question

Six volunteer, retired seniors out of a group of twenty working in the visitor's booth on the Langdale ferry were abruptly dismissed. With no prior discussion our sponsor the Gibson's Chamber of Commerce by Email sent to all volunteers discharged us. The only reason stated was that the ferry was not busy on our working days, Tuesday & Wednesday. It seemed strange considering the time of year.
We feel insulted, singled out and embarrassed in front of our community.
As volunteers do we have any legal recourse?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Were the other 14 seniors as well? Or are they younger volunteers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All were seniors
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any idea why this happened? Have you asked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please phone(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We will wait for you answer by phone as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the lawyer cannot call please proceed by e-mail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far we have received zero information but have answered on short question by e-mail
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. In Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

But you never answered my question.

Here it is again:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only reason stated was that Tues. & Wed. were not busy. This is in spite of the fact that on Wed. June 29 there was a two sailing wait for the ferry. A husband & wife did object earlier to a new form that was opposed by many volunteers. Leith my husband did not like it but only went to one meeting opposing it and left early. He has used the form ever since. The two who were violently opposed volunteer on Tues. Perhaps those who volunteer on Wed. just got caught in the cross fire. Nothing was ever said about non cooperation.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

There is no obligation on the part of any organization to retain volunteers they don't wish to have working for them. There is no requirement to provide notice or reasons either.

What they cannot do is dismiss volunteers because of discrimination. So they cannot dismiss someone because of their age, gender, race, colour, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, disability etc. But it doesn't sound like this is what happened here.

It is unlawful if they are telling lies about you and harming your reputation. If that is happening you can sue for defamation and get compensation for damages to your reputation but you've not mentioned that either.

But if this is not discrimination and if they are not telling lies about you there is nothing you can do unfortunately.

Do you see what I mean?