How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100407
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nephew was fired from a tech job in Quebec yesterday

Customer Question

My nephew was fired from a tech job in Quebec yesterday after ten years and one month service. He was told he would only be paid for time owed and vacation pay. He was fired because he was not selling enough cell phone plans. What can he do to either keep his job or get a better severance package. I suggested he ask for a reference from his employer.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.
Are they saying that he is being dismissed for just cause?Has he ever received written warnings that if he does not improve he will be dismissed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are saying he is fired for not making his quota.
He just told me that he has not received any warnings etc in writing.
He works, in Quebec, for The Source, (owned by Bell Canada).
Thank you.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

On is Record of Employment what does it say in terms of the reason for the dismissal? Can you find out or find out what code they provided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not yet received his separation slip. So I do not know the reason for his dismissal.
Thank you,Robert
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

If an employer wants to dismiss an employee for cause the employer is required to provide the employee with written warnings, unless the employee`s conduct is so extraordinary that immediate dismissal is warranted.

As this was not the case then your nephew should consider a claim for wrongful dismissal and seek damages from his employer.

Generally the damages would be equal to what he would receive had he been dismissed without cause. If that had been the case he would have been entitled to receive "reasonable" notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time your nephew worked for the employer, his age, position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if your nephew were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If he were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

Does that help as a starting point?

Related Canada Law Questions