How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100419
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to become a Resident of Mexico. I am living here with

Customer Question

I want to become a Resident of Mexico. I am living here with my common law husband. Can I keep my Canadian investment broker, my Canadian bank account, and my Canadian passport?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.


You certainly don't have to give up your citizenship.

And there is no reason why you cannot keep your assets in Canada.

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What happens if I am forced to leave my broker and sell my investments. Will I be taxed on this in one tax year?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You cannot be forced to sell your assets. That is not the law.

If you sell your assets and they are worth more than when you acquired them you have to pay capital gains tax on them in the year the were sold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BUT do I have to move my investments out of Canada? Can I keep my bank in Canada even if I am no longer a resident? Can I continue to use my Canadian passport if I am no longer a resident?
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

I already said you don't have to remove your assets and you can always use your passport as it has nothing to do with residency. It is about citizenship.

Related Canada Law Questions