How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100035
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 58 year old employee of a company who may be about to

Customer Question

I am a 58 year old employee of a company who may be about to terminate my employment without cause. I hold a senior position of director of operations, have worked for them for 20 months, was recruited from a senior position to this one. Can you give me advice on what I could expect in severance?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying you were lured away from another job to take this one?

How long had you worked at the other job for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in a position that I had been recruited into and was in for 6 was also director of operations, a headhunter contacted me about the role I am now in. After assuming my current employment my scope of responsibility was significantly increased without consultation.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

Does that answer your question?

Related Canada Law Questions