Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I am a 58 year old employee of a company who may be about to

Customer Question

I am a 58 year old employee of a company who may be about to terminate my employment without cause. I hold a senior position of director of operations, have worked for them for 20 months, was recruited from a senior position to this one. Can you give me advice on what I could expect in severance?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying you were lured away from another job to take this one?

How long had you worked at the other job for?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in a position that I had been recruited into and was in for 6 months.it was also director of operations, a headhunter contacted me about the role I am now in. After assuming my current employment my scope of responsibility was significantly increased without consultation.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

You are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

Does that answer your question?