How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101381
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is regarding sponsering Family members, citizen

Customer Question

My question is regarding sponsering Family members, I'm Canadian citizen born is Mexico and I would like to sponser my brother from back home. I'm been living here now for more than 6 years as a PR and now as a citizen, I have not wife or any type of relatives living in this country, I read the law and said that if you have no relatives of family than you can sponser one Family member, however there is one thing that I didn't know, according the article of the CIC you can sponser;
You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:
you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
son or daughter,
brother or sister,
uncle, aunt,
nephew or niece.
I want to sponser my brother and I heard that according CIC I have to follow the order in which is written on the web. Staring with children, parents, grandparents, and siblings.
Now, I have not children, mother or grandparents, and I only have one parent my biological father but I don't know about him since he left the house wend I was baby.
I believe he is still alive but Im not sure, can I skip my biological dad by right of absence or could I sponser my brother or not?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Can you find your father to be sure that he is living?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not interest to look for my father, I'm 90% sure that is still alive. I do not know the exact place where he lives but if I wanted I can find him.

Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then that is going to be a problem. You cannot sponsor your brother because from a legal point of view you can sponsor your father.

You could try and get special permission from Canada Immigration if you could show that who he is or where he is is unknown to you. If you can say he has not been part of your life since you were an infant and have no idea where he is or even if he is living that may work.

It is a difficult and very unfair situation and so I would hope the goverment would consider your situation with compassion but that is not often the case.

You would do best by retaining an immigration lawyer in your city to act for you for this issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I need someone who don't reply whit another answer, someone who know about the Canadian Immigracion