How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 100996
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Dad was an American citizen who lived in New York. When

Customer Question

My Dad was an American citizen who lived in New York. When my Mom diode and he sold their house, he came to live with me in Quebec, but maintained my sister's address in the Bronx as his "official" residence. His credit cards, bank accounts, pension cheques, pills, tax payments, etc. all used the Bronx address. He died in April at a residence in St. Lambert and was sent back to the States for burial.
Can his will be probated in Quebec?
Michael Bunyar (###) ###-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Does he have any assets in Quebec?

How long has he lived with you for?

Was he a permanent resident?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No assets in Quebec
He lived with me for about 6 years
He had no legal status in Quebec. He was here as a visitor.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Then you cannot probate the Will in Quebec and it would not make much sense to do so in any event as you would have to probate it as well where the assets are.

I am sorry for your loss.