Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

IS I NEED SOME ADVISE HUSBAND HE IS A TYPE 2 DIABETIC AND IS

Customer Question

IS HI I NEED SOME ADVISE FOR MY HUSBAND HE IS A TYPE 2 DIABETIC AND IS ON MEDICATION HIS WORKPLACE SAID THEY R GOINT TO DO ROTATING SHIFTS STARTING JULY 18 2 WEEKS DAYS AND 2 WEEKS AFTERNOONS HE IS ON STEADY AFTERNOONS WHICH HIS BODY AND SURGAR LEVEL ARE IN CONTROL WHAT RIGHT AS A EMPLOYEE DOES HE HAVE TO SAY NO I CANNOT DO ROTATING SHIFTS WOULD HE NEED A NOT FROM A SPECIALIST IN DIABETES OR FROM HIS FAMILY DOCTOR
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Is your husband in a union?

What province are you in, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iam not sure and I live in Ontario canada
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

Please ask your husband if he is in a union because I cannot provide a meaningful answer without knowing this information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi I just phoned him and asked him and no he is not in a union.
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

The law is that the employer is required to provide your husband with reasonable accommodations so long as these accommodations do not require the employer to suffer undo hardship. If the employer fails to provide these accommodations when the employer can do so, this would be considered to be discrimination on the basis of disability in employment and contrary to the Human Rights Code.

Your husband could then file a complaint with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

Yes, your husband will need to provide a letter from the doctor setting out what accommodation he requires.