How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 101055
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to surrender my over-priced financed car, alberta,

Customer Question

i need to surrender my over-priced financed car
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: alberta
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no. i cant afford to.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I just want to know how to do this as clean as possible. I heard if I deliver the car to the dealer they can still sue me for the remaining amount of the finacning
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i am in the province of Alberta
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 1 year ago.

What you hear is correct and the dealer can sue you for the remainder of what you owe.

There is one exception and that is if the car was purchased under a conditional sales contract. If that is the case then the dealer can either seize the car or sue you but not both.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.